Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL)
The Graduate Diploma in Law is sometimes referred to as the conversion course for non-law graduates who want to qualify as either Solicitors or Barristers. The GDL satisfies the professional body requirements of the academic stage of training for Solicitors and Barristers.
It is a highly flexible programme which you can convert into an LLB (Hons) Degree at no extra cost by studying our Graduate LLB (Hons) once you have completed the GDL. In addition, we run a bespoke lecture series (GDL Extra) and several skills workshops (GDL Skills in Practice) which we have developed in conjunction with some of the leading city law firms. All of these additional programmes are designed to fit seamlessly with your GDL studies, preparing you for practice, helping you polish your performance and boost your prospects.
We are a highly respected law school and provide legal training exclusively to over 60 leading law firms because of the professional relevance of our education and the high quality of our teaching, facilities and learning materials.
The Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL) is awarded by BPP University.
| Locations* |
Birmingham, Bristol, Cambridge, Leeds, Liverpool, London Waterloo, Manchester and online.
|Study Options||Duration||Start date|
|Full-time and part-time|| |
18 months - two-years, part-time
|September, January and April|
|Modes of study||Assessment|
|Face-to-face, Online (via Online Classroom Live)||Examinations, computer-based assessments and independent research essay|
|How to apply|
| Applications for the full-time GDL must be made online through the Central Applications Board (CAB). |
For our part-time GDL you apply direct to BPP University using the part time application form.
| *Subject to demand. Please note programmes/modes may not run at all locations. |
^ Further details of eligibility requirements, interest rates and other key terms of the loan are available by visiting the Future Finance website. BPP University Limited acts as a credit broker and is not a lender for this arrangement.
- Enhance your employability with our professional skills programme
- More ways to study choose face-to-face or online
- Access specialist careers advice from the moment you accept your place, until you secure your first legal position
- Flexibility when you study; weekdays, weekends, daytime or evening (dependent upon location and mode of study)
- Get involved in pro bono work with our award-winning Pro Bono Centre.
- Convert your GDL into an LLB (Hons) Degree with our Graduate LLB (Hons) programme
- Funding available through Scholarships, interest-free payment plans and Future Finance student loans^
- All classes and materials are available online for consolidation and revision catch-up
- Dedicated personal tutor support throughout your studies
- Learn about specialist areas of practice in our bespoke lecture series, GDL Extra
- Three start dates a year: September, January or April. (Dependent upon location and mode of study)
- Take part in extra-curricular activities such as mooting and negotiation
- All of your study materials, including internally and externally published books and materials are provided in your course fees and available 24/7 on our Virtual Learning Environment (VLE)
- Learn Mandarin alongside your GDL (London only)