Data subject access requests

How you can make a data subject access request?

Requesting your personal data

Under the Act, you have the right to access your personal data held by BPP. If you wish to enquire about the data which BPP holds on you, you may make a data subject access request (DSAR). The process you should follow to do this is set out below.  

You can ask to access the personal data which BPP may hold about you or you can ask to be provided with a copy of it. In some circumstances BPP may provide access to personal data and not copies.

We may charge a nominal fee in order to cover some of the administration costs in responding to your request and we are permitted to do this under the Act.

Who can request personal information from BPP?

You can make a DSAR to receive your own personal data. Alternatively, a third party can make a DSAR for you, provided that proof they are acting with the authorisation of that individual is given.

If you are acting on behalf of another individual, BPP’s standard Data Subject Request Form must be completed. This must be submitted along with the £10 fee, signed authorisation confirming the individual’s consent to you acting on his/her behalf and evidence of the identity of the individual. 

What information are you entitled to receive?

If you make a DSAR, you are entitled to know if BPP holds any of your personal data and what your personal data is used for. You are entitled to receive a copy of your personal data, details regarding the purpose for which BPP uses the information and who it is shared with.

Only information which is considered to be your personal data will be released under a DSAR. The anonymity of other individuals or other information which is not considered to be your personal data may be protected, as appropriate, by redaction or omission in accordance with the Act.

How can I request my personal data?

You can request your personal data by making a DSAR. It will be treated in the strictest confidence and will only be processed by authorised staff in relevant departments who have been contacted in order to locate and process the DSAR.

To make a valid DSAR, you must:

  • Pay a nominal fee: the fee charged for a DSAR is £10. Payment can be made by cheque payable to BPP Holdings Limited; and
  • Provide proof of identity: We require a certified copy or original of some form of photographic identification, such as a passport or a driving license. We require this information to be sure that we are releasing data to the correct person.

Please send your completed form, cheque for the fee and proof of identity to Data Protection Officer, BPP Professional Education Group, 4th Floor, 3 London Wall Buildings, London, EC2M 5PD.

If you wish for any specific documents to be located and/or areas of BPP to be searched this should be indicated clearly on the Data Subject Request Form. The more specific you are and the more information that you provide us with, the better we will be able to respond to your request.

How long will BPP take to respond to your request?

We will respond to your request within a reasonable timeframe, but in any event within 40 calendar days of us receiving the required documents and fee. We will let you know if, for any reason, we will be responding outside of this timescale.

Can I request a copy of my examinations?

The information recorded by you on your examination scripts does not have to be provided under a DSAR. You are however entitled to information about your marks for both coursework and examinations. BPP reserves the right to withhold results, certificates, accreditations or references in accordance with the payment provisions relating to your course Terms and Conditions. 


BPP is not obliged to comply with a DSAR from an individual if the request is similar or identical to a request that BPP has already complied with in relation to that individual. This exemption will not apply if a reasonable interval has elapsed between the two requests and further information has been processed since the first request. BPP also reserves its rights to act under any other exceptions or exemptions under the Act.