Cohen Scholarship Outstanding Excellence
Awarded by BPP University Law School Applications Closed
As part of its commitment to developing your legal career, BPP University Law School is offering over £90,000 worth of merit-based scholarships across this academic year to applicants that can demonstrate exceptional potential and the highest level of commitment to their future legal career.
The scholarship is named after Baroness Cohen, the current president of BPP University. Baroness Cohen is a Labour life peer, a Non-Executive Director of the London Stock Exchange plc and former BBC governor (1994 – 1999). She has had numerous corporate board roles with a range of financial institutions and was a senior civil servant at the Department of Trade and Industry (1969 - 1982). She is also a published author and chairman of the Cambridge Arts Theatre.
This scholarship is awarded at the discretion of the Directors of Programmes.
This scholarship is available to any applicant holding an offer to study either the GDL or LPC, including current BPP University Law School students and will award to those students who can demonstrate outstanding academic excellence and have the potential to be an outstanding lawyer of the future, you can be selected for the Cohen Outstanding Excellence Award. Each award is valued at £4000 in London and in all other regions of the UK £3000.
There is an additional new award to those who are able to demonstrate academic excellence and outstanding commitment to social justice and community law and have the potential to be an outstanding lawyer of the future. Successful applicants can be selected for the Cohen Outstanding Excellence in Social and Community Justice Award. Each award is valued at £4000 in London and in all other regions of the UK £3000.
Am I eligible?
You do not need to specifically apply for this award as successful applicants will be selected from those who have applied for the Career Guarantee Scholarship by 30 June 2017 meeting the criteria below:
- have applied for, and been offered a place on the LPC or GDL;
- be able to demonstrate academic excellence, through a 2:1 or above in your Undergraduate degree and/or GDL Commendation or above (predicted or obtained);
- be able to demonstrate a clear commitment towards a career within the legal profession; and
- meet the admission requirements for the LPC or GDL.
How much is it worth?
There is an overall scholarship fund of over £90,000 per academic year.
Successful applicants will be awarded both the Career Guarantee Scholarship and the Cohen Excellence Scholarship. If you are a student outside London the total value of your award will be £5500 if you study in London the total value of your award will be total of £6500.
Those whose applications for the CGS stand out as exceptional in relation to the criteria below will be eligible to be selected for the award:
- If you can demonstrate academic excellence and have the potential to be an outstanding lawyer of the future, you can be selected for the Cohen Outstanding Excellence award. Each award is £4000 in London and £3000 in all other regions of the UK.
- If you are able to demonstrate academic excellence and outstanding commitment to social justice and community law and have the potential to be an outstanding lawyer of the future you can be selected for the Cohen Outstanding Excellence in Social and Community Justice Award. Each award valued at £4000 in London and £3000 in all other regions of the UK.
How do I apply?
Due to overwhelming demand, we are still in the process of reviewing scholarship applications for September 2017. We are currently working hard to review all submissions and will feedback to students as soon as possible.
You must submit your Career Guarantee Scholarship application by 30 June 2017 to be considered for this award. There is no need to apply separately for this scholarship, exceptional candidates will be shortlisted for this award and notified by email on 17 July.
Shortlisted candidates will be sent by email the details of the additional exercise that will need to complete in order to be assessed for the final award of the Cohen Outstanding Excellence Scholarships; this will be a task designed to test ability to succeed at the highest level in the legal profession. Shortlisted candidates will submit completed work in the prescribed format by 31 July and candidates will be notified on 14 August on the outcome.
Scholarship dates and duration
If you have been successful in your application for either of the Cohen awards you will receive this in addition to your CGS. The award will be for one programme of study. If you are a GDL applicant you may apply the following year for another scholarship if you go on to study the LPC or the BPTC.
All scholarship awards will be valid only for the current academic year of study unless agreed otherwise and in exceptional cases.
What our students have said about this scholarship
"The scholarship assessment day was intellectually stimulating, led by enthusiastic tutors encouraging you to think like a lawyer and apply legal knowledge to real life scenarios."
Patrick Reade, GDL student, 2013/14, Liverpool, Cohen Scholarship
"I advise all students to apply for this scholarship because it will look fantastic on your applications regardless of whether you are looking at the barrister or the solicitor route."
Prisca Wharton, GDL student, 2013/14, Manchester, Cohen Scholarship
"The assessment is really fun and whatever the outcome you meet people you will be studying with on the GDL and some of your new tutors. The atmosphere is incredibly friendly and the day itself is great practice for any future assessment days."
Prisca Wharton, GDL student, 2013/14, Manchester, Cohen Scholarship
Terms and Conditions
Your Career Guarantee Scholarship award I and /or the Cohen Excellence Award is a discount set off against your fees for either the LPC or the GDL, the terms and conditions below set out the details of the arrangements for the awards:
Please note the BPP Scholarship terms and conditions below:
- Scholarship Awards act as a rebate on your course fees. In no circumstances will a cash prize be payable to award winners. If you pay your course fees by instalment then the rebate applies to the final instalments due to BPP.
- No refunds of Scholarship Awards can be given and if you do not take up your place then you lose your Scholarship Award rebate.
- Your Scholarship Award applies for entry in this academic intake (September 2017). Scholarship Awards cannot be transferred or deferred to entry in future intake.
- Your Scholarship Award is only valid in your allocated study centre and not transferable between centres.
- The Scholarship will be used to pay for part of your last instalment from your programme fees. Please ensure you make payment of the first instalment as usual and Student Finance will let you know when you can stop making instalment payments.