Disabled Students' Allowance

Is there any funding available to students to assist them with the extra costs incurred due to their learning difficulty and disability?

Yes. If you are a student with disabilities and/or learning difficulties you may be eligible for the Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA), which you should apply for through Student Finance England. The DSA helps financially support students with a disability or long-term health condition, mental health condition and students with a specific learning difficulty such like Dyslexia or Dyspraxia. This is in addition to loans or grants you already have in place and it is not means tested. The DSA is only available to students from the UK. You will need to provide evidence in the form of reports or medical evidence in order to apply.

Once you have sent off your application, you will receive confirmation from Student Finance England that you are eligible. You will be invited to attend a Study Needs Assessment to discuss what support you may be entitled to.

What can DSA funding cover?

The DSA can fund support for specialist equipment, tuition or a note-taker, additional photocopying or books and in some cases travel costs. See What are Disabled Students' Allowances?

The application process can take up to several months, so we strongly advise you to apply for DSA as early as possible so you receive the benefit of this support from the start of your course.

Please visit the Disabled Students' Allowances website for further information and an application form.

Please do get in contact with the Learning Support team if you need any assistance completing the application or need further advice.

Non Medical Help: Study Skills Tutors and Support Staff

NMH Rates

Please click below for our NMH rates:

What other sources of funding might I be eligible for?

You may be eligible for other sources of funding if you are a student with a disability or learning difficulty.

International Students

BPP University is committed to all of our students - whether from home or abroad. However, there are different funding sources for international students, who do not qualify for UK DSA funding. If you are an International Student, we first recommend obtaining funding from your home country by applying to your sponsor, Ministry of Education or government.

Student Health Association Assistance Fund

The Student Health Association Assistance Fund is run by the Student Health Association. It provides financial support for specialist computer equipment, assistive technology, extra travel costs or tutor support.

Before applying to the fund a student must apply for the Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA). A student who is not entitled to DSA or has been refused is more likely to receive an award from the Fund.

The Snowdon Award Scheme

Whatever your situation - whether you are already studying, starting a new programme or retraining following an accident or illness - you may be eligible to apply for a Snowdon award.

Inner Temple Disability Award

The Inner Temple, one of the four Inns of Court in London provides financial support for disabled students or pupils of the Inner Temple. Applicants must be able to demonstrate financial need and have the prospect of being called to the Bar.