Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC)
If your goal is to become a barrister, BPP University's Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC) provides the best possible training. We offer advocacy and conference sessions taught in groups of four, true-to-life mock trials and assessments and the widest range of electives of any provider. In addition, our Careers Service pulls out all the stops to help you secure pupillage.
On successfully completing our BPTC, you will be fully prepared for the demands of life as a barrister – and will be eligible to be called to the Bar of England and Wales (subject to meeting the qualifying session requirement of your Inn of Court).
The legal profession can be demanding and being a barrister is not for everyone. It is recommended that you read this important information issued by the Bar Standards Board if you wish to study for the Bar of England and Wales.
The Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC) is awarded by BPP University.
| Locations* |
Birmingham, Bristol, Leeds, London Holborn and Manchester
|Study Options||Duration||Start date|
1 year full-time
2 years part-time
|Modes of study||Assessment|
|Face to face||Written and oral skills examinations|
|How to apply|
|Applications for the full-time and part-time must be made online through the Bar Student Application Service (BARSAS) .|
*Subject to demand. Please note programmes/modes may not run at all locations.
- Small group sessions - all practical advocacy and conference sessions are taught in groups of 4
- Learn from experienced practitioners with a strong practical focus
- Option to type opinion writing and drafting assessments
- Widest selection of options to choose from, more than any other provider
- Increase your knowledge with introductions to pupillage lectures and court visits , helping you target your applications to the most appropriate chambers for you
- Funding available through Scholarships, interest-free payment plans and Future Finance student loans^
- Gain vital work experience - by advising real clients through our award-winning Pro Bono Centre
- Practice your skills through mock trial and mooting events judged by members of the judiciary and practitioners
- True-to-life assessments in advocacy and conference, using professional actors
- Value for money - all books and learning materials included in the fee
- Proactive careers support to give you the best possible chance of securing pupillage
- Convert your BPP University BPTC to a full BPP University Masters degree by completing an additional 30 credits