BPP Manchester St James's Building
Accountancy & Tax Students we look forward to welcoming you to your newly refurbished Manchester centre from Mid-September 2013. More details will follow shortly. Find out more information as it is released by following our Facebook page
Situated in an historic building in Manchester's buzzing city centre – our Manchester centre is conveniently located within two minutes' walk of Oxford Road train station and a five minute walk to the main shopping areas.
The learning centre is equipped to the highest standard, and offers a range of programmes in business, finance and law, and this mixed community gives you the opportunity to interact with a wide range of people at different stages of their careers.
You will benefit from friendly and expert tutors alongside a team of dedicated support staff – something that's reflected in our consistently outstanding student satisfaction rates. Plus, with various initiatives to help you get a training contract in a law firm, or your first job in business, we'll help you get the best possible start to your career.
"Having been studying at BPP in Manchester for seven months, I can honestly say I have enjoyed every minute of it. From my very first day all the staff have been extremely welcoming and supportive. The library is a fantastic facility, a great place to meet up with friends and study as there is always enough room to sit together. I regularly make use of the careers service which has been a great help. BPP has a very active social community. There is a club for everyone, and…through all the social events BPP hosts I met many of my friends all of which will no doubt be life-long. Overall for me the best part of BPP is the academic and facility staff because they make studying at BPP the great experience it is."
LLB, Lisa Tolley, Testimonial date: 28th March 2012, Course start date: 2011, Course end date: 2013.
The closest train station is Manchester Oxford Road, which is two minutes' walk from the centre. The main train station is Manchester Piccadilly which is ten minutes away, as is the main bus station. The closest tram stop to the centre is St Peter's Square, just a five minute walk away.
BPP University – student life
Please see below a short video made by students about studying at this BPP University centre
Our Manchester learning centre provides you with the resources you will need in a professional working environment. You will benefit from friendly and expert tutors and a team of dedicated support staff.
BPP University Students' Association works closely with BPP to put students at the heart of everything we do.
- Student representation – represent your student body on various committees
- Clubs and societies – join a student-led club or make use of start-up funding to create your own. Examples of societies that ran in 2012 are:
- Cricket Club
- Football (11 a side)
- Iyengar Yoga
- LGBT Society
- Manchester Law Society
- Mooting Society
- Netball Club
- Running Club
- Squash Club
- Events – get involved in events throughout the year.
- Discounts – available at a number of local and national shops, restaurants, gyms and more
- Student publications – contribute to the Business Brief or Legal InCite publication
- Volunteering certificate – gain essential experience and work towards a volunteering certificate.
The specialist careers and pro-bono services are tailored to meet your needs and our student advisors can help you on a wide range of issues. Our library staff provides help and advice on using the online and print library materials, and ensures you have access to the materials and study space you need.
But it's not all about work. A range of student-led clubs and societies are available covering social, cultural, academic and sporting interests and these vary depending on local initiatives. You can join one or start one! You'll also get a discount card that entitles you to a range of discounts at local businesses. The Students' Association offers an independent voice for students and also organises a range of events and produces student publications which you can contribute to. Find out more by visiting their website at www.bppstudents.com
To really find out what it's like to study at BPP in Manchester we advise you to attend an Open Day when you can discover more about the centre, your preferred programme and the facilities on offer. For available dates visit our events calendar.
- Visitor accommodation
- Student Advice
- Library Services
- Careers Service
- Pro Bono Centre
- Students' Association
Manchester St James's Building Courses and Programmes
BPP University Programmes
- Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC)
- Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) Full-time Study
- LLB (Hons)
- LLB (Hons) Business Law
- BSc (Hons) Business Management
- BSc (Hons) Professional Accounting
- Legal Practice Course (LPC)
- Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL)
- LLM Professional Legal Practice
- MSc Management
- MSc Management with Project Management
- MSc Management and Finance
- MSc Professional HR
- MSc International Marketing
- MA Law with Business
- CIM Chartered Postgraduate Diploma in Marketing
- CIM Professional Diploma in Marketing
- CIM Professional Certificate in Marketing
- Chartered Institute of Personnel Development (CIPD)
- In-sessional Academic English and Communications Skills
- International Foundation Certificate in Business Studies
- International Foundation Certificate in Legal Studies
BPP Professional Education Courses
- ACCA Part-time
- Professional Skills Course (PSC)
- Qualified Lawyers Transfer Test (QLTT)
Programmes run subject to demand.
Tutors and lecturers
Our tutors and lecturers are 'professionals teaching professionals'. BPP students will become their contemporaries, and are treated as such from day one. Our well-qualified team have all worked and qualified either in industry, practice or public service, so they can use real-life examples to give our programmes a practical context.
We have highly supportive personal tutors who are available via e-mail, over the phone and have regular office hours to ensure that they are there when you need them – with each student allocated one-to-one time. They are dedicated to your success and trained to advise you on both academic and personal matters which may be impacting on your studies or your employability. Your personal tutor is your best port of call for help and support, both inside and outside the classroom, and for referral to other BPP services.
- 10 classrooms with the latest audio-visual technology and a total of 262 seats
- 108 seat lecture theatre
- University library with quiet and silent study space and 200 seats
- Pro-bono centre
- Prayer Room
- Shower Room
- Free Wi-Fi and internet access
- Student Lounge with TV area and pool tables
- Cycle racks (available on request on a first-come-first-served basis)
- Student lockers available for full time students on certain programmes
- 106 seat breakout area
- On-site café
- Snack vending machines
- Several cafes, shops and restaurants are within walking distance – including Pizza Express, Don Giovanni's, Philpotts, Sainsbury's and Tesco Express
- Disabled access to building
- Disabled toilets
- Monday to Thursday from 7:00am to 11:00pm (staffed 8:30am – 8:00pm)
- Friday from 7:00am to 10:00pm (staffed 8:30am – 8:00pm)
- Saturday and Sunday from 8:00am to 8:00pm (staffed 9:00am – 8:00pm)
(Hours may vary out of term time)
BPP in Manchester holds a range of open days for prospective students for all its programmes. Find out more in our events calendar.
If you can't make it to an Open Day, why not book a centre visit? This includes a tour of our facilities and a discussion with a tutor, at a time convenient to you. To book your centre visit please email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone number shown above.
For our University students there are careers events and networking events throughout the year.
Student – focused events include:
- Numerous links with the profession facilitated by our specialist careers service
- Annual Careers Fair
- Innovative pro bono projects
- Numerous student clubs, societies and student planned events. See our Students' Association website.
We have negotiated preferential rates for BPP students on accommodation at Novotel, Portland Street and Atrium Apartments, Princess Street. For full details contact email@example.com.
We recommend that students travelling to BPP by car use the NCP on Oxford Street (across the road from the centre).
Discounted parking is available for students – please check with BPP reception for more details.
Disabled Parking is available for guests at St James Building, please contact Bruntwood to check availability and book on 0161 236 5088 (Availability is limited and is only available to guests with a Disabled Parking Badge)
There is an NCP car park available for students across the road from the centre with 11 Disabled Parking Bays. Chester Street, Manchester (M1 5GE)
(Fee may apply)
University Student Services
The services below are available to students taking University programmes, such as degrees and law professional qualifications.
Our onsite Student Advisors offer advice and guidance to our University students on a range of issues. Their focus is on non-academic queries and they can offer guidance on any aspect of student life, such as accommodation, finance, welfare and academic processes such as deferring exams.
Student Advice Hours
- Monday 8:30am – 6:30pm
- Tuesday 8:30am – 6:00pm
- Wednesday 8:30am – 6:00pm International Student Advisor
- Thursday 8:30am – 6:30pm
- Friday 8:30am – 5:00pm
Our library staff provides help and advice on using the online and print library materials, and ensures you have access to the materials and study space you need. BPP University students are provided with their own copy of the main core text books.
Library Opening Times
- Monday – Thursday 7:00am – 11:00pm
- Friday 7:00am – 10:00pm
- Saturday – Sunday 8:00am – 8:00pm
Our Careers Service provides specialist legal and general business careers guidance, has excellent links with local and national firms and can help you succeed in your chosen career path.
Careers Service Hours
- Monday 9:00am – 5:30pm
- Tuesday 9:00am – 5:30pm Appointments also available 5:30pm – 7:30pm
- Wednesday 9:00am – 5:30pm
- Thursday 9:00am – 5:30pm
- Friday 9:00am – 5:30pm
Regular evening events. Contact the careers team for more information.
Pro Bono Centre
The Pro Bono Centre provides opportunities for law students to use their legal skills for the benefit of those who would not otherwise have access to justice. See the VLE (Virtual Learning Environment) for details of local projects.
Monday and Tuesday 9:00am – 5:30pm