Your personal data
What personal data do we collect?
Depending on how you use the Websites, Products, Social Media Channels and/or otherwise interact with us (whether through any BPP courses or programmes, the purchase of learning materials or otherwise), we will ask you to provide us with certain personal data which identifies you (whether by itself or together with other information that BPP holds) and which may affect your privacy. Personal data may include data collected in the following circumstances (this is not a definitive list):
- If you are to be enrolled on a course or programme with BPP, we may need your personal data to enrol you on that course or programme and to continue to provide that course or programme to you for its duration;
- If you are purchasing learning materials from BPP, we may need your personal data in order to send those learning materials to you;
- If you are one of our staff members or students we will grant you access to certain pages of our Websites only if you register to use them;
- If you request information or order Products from the Websites, by e-mail, over the telephone or by post we will ask you to provide certain personal data to us;
- If you request any form of credit from BPP, we may pass your personal data to a credit checking agency;
- If you owe BPP money and default in paying, we may pass your personal data to a debt recovery service;
- If you receive direct or indirect funding or other assistance from any governmental or private agency, we may be required to pass your personal data to that agency;
- If BPP is participating in any survey or other exercise being undertaken by any governmental agency (such as the Higher Education Funding Council for England or the Higher Education Statistics Agency), we may pass your personal data to that agency;
- We use closed circuit television systems for security purposes at our premises and the footage is recorded and retained;
- If any lecture, seminar, tutorial or other interactive teaching session is being recorded; and/or
- We may record telephone calls with you for training and/or monitoring purposes.
The personal data we ask for may include:
- Date of birth;
- Email address;
- Phone number(s);
- Fax number;
- Where you heard about us;
- Information regarding your personal or professional interests, needs or opinions, demographics, experiences with our Products and contact preferences (please refer to the section “Direct Marketing” below for more information). Some of this information may constitute sensitive personal data (e.g. if your personal interests relate to your religious or other beliefs or your racial or ethnic origin) which is defined below;
- Credit/debit card information, billing information and/or delivery address information (if you order Products on the Websites); and/or
- Information you provide in any “free text” boxes on the Websites (i.e. blank spaces where you are free to insert comments).
We may also collect other information about you automatically with regard to each of your visits to the Websites or use of our other Social Media Channels. This may include:
- Technical information, including the Internet Protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform; and
- Information about your visit, including the Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through and from the Websites or Social Media Channels (including date and time), Products you viewed or searched for, page response times, download errors, lengths of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks and mouse-overs) and methods used to browse away from the page and any phone number used to call our customer services numbers.
We may also receive information about you from other sources. These may include:
- Your employer; and
- Other third parties (including, for example, business partners, sub-contractors in technical, payment and delivery services, advertising networks, analytics providers, search information providers, overseas agents and credit reference agencies).
These lists of personal data are not exhaustive and further information may be requested from you when BPP considers it is fair and necessary to do so. Further, the personal data requested by BPP may include sensitive personal data (see “what is sensitive personal data?” below) and it may change or be updated in accordance with the nature of our services and in accordance with legal, regulatory and other good governance requirements.
Wherever reasonably practicable we will distinguish between personal data that you must provide or which must be collected from you in order to be granted the access to the relevant Website, Product or Social Media Channel and any information which you may provide at your discretion.
What is sensitive personal data?
This category of personal data is more sensitive and relates to, for example, a person's race, sexual orientation, criminal allegations or offences, trade union memberships or their mental or physical health.
Sensitive personal data may be collected by us from you if you purchase our Products or choose to attend our courses, programmes and/or events (or other teaching sessions or events organised by us or on our behalf). You may choose to submit your sensitive personal data to us about, for example, your special learning needs or dietary requirements.
We have in place additional measures to protect your sensitive personal data and its confidentiality. We will use your sensitive personal data in order to deliver our Products to you, to meet your requirements or to deal with any requests made by you.
Retention of your personal data
In accordance with the Act we will ensure that your personal data is not kept longer than is necessary for the purpose(s) it was collected for. In particular, personal data collected through BPP's Helpline for the purpose of compliance with the SOX Law and other relevant legislation, and all documents (electronic and hard copy) related to the same, or to any related investigation, will be kept for so long as is required by law or legal process or as is strictly necessary to fulfil the legitimate purpose for which it was collected. Where appropriate, this will be for an appropriate time period following completion of verification or an investigation (or on the completion of any resultant proceedings). Where information is known to be unreliable, irrelevant or excessive, where possible, it will be securely deleted or access will be removed, as soon as is reasonably possible.
Requesting your personal data
You can ask to access personal data which the relevant BPP company (i.e. the company to which your personal data is directed to through the Websites or the company to which you have supplied that personal data) may hold about you or you can ask to be provided with a copy of it. In some circumstances the relevant BPP company may provide access not copies.
Please refer to the section on Data Subject Access Requests for further information.
Ensuring that your personal data is accurate
If you have reason to believe that any personal data that we have about you is out of date or inaccurate please email or write to us to notify us of any changes that should be made. We will amend your personal data if you tell us to or if we consider that it contains factual errors or is out of date.